Bicyclists make up a large voting block. We, as bicyclists, can and should exercise our right to vote in each and every election. The Iowa Bicycle Coalition has assembled this guide so you can register to vote, request an absentee ballot, and cast your vote at the polls on November 8, 2022.
step 1: Register to vote
The first step is registering to vote. You can register to vote:
Monday, October 24 is the final day to pre-register to vote for the 2022 General Election. Completed voter registrations may be mailed to your county auditor and must be received by 5:00 PM CST on October 24 or must be postmarked on or before October 24. Registrations submitted online must be completed at or before 11:59 PM CT on October 24.
AM I ALREADY REGISTERED?
You may check the Iowa Secretary of State’s website to see if you are already registered.
- Must be at least 17 years old. A person may vote if they will be 18 years old on or before election day. In the case of primary elections, a person may vote if they will be 18 years old on or before the corresponding regular election.
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must be an Iowa resident.
- Cannot be a convicted felon (unless your voting rights have been restored by the Governor, including through Executive Order, after a felony conviction).
- Cannot be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law.
- Cannot claim the right to vote in any other place.
STEP 2: VOTE
Choose which option you prefer for voting:
ABSENTEE BY MAIL
- Iowa voters can begin requesting absentee ballots on August 30, 2022.
- The Absentee Ballot Request Form for the 2022 General Election must be received in your county auditor’s office by 5:00 PM CT on Monday, October 24.
- The county auditor will mail your ballot no sooner than 20 days before election day.
- Mark your ballot, and then follow the instructions included with your ballot to return it in the postage-paid return envelope.
- You can:
- Mail your ballot so that is received before 8 PM CT on Election Day – November 8
- Hand deliver your ballot to your county auditor by 8 PM CST on Election Day – November 8
- Surrender your absentee ballot at your precinct polling place on Election Day and vote a regular ballot
- Vote a provisional ballot at the polls on Election Day if you cannot surrender your voted absentee ballot.
- Voted absentee ballots cannot be delivered to the polling place on election day.
- Click https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/absenteeballotstatus/absentee/search to get an update on your ballot’s status.
ABSENTEE IN PERSON
In-person absentee voting for the November 8 General Election is available from Wednesday, October 19 to Monday, November 7. You can vote in your county auditor’s office or at an appropriate satellite location, if available.
AT THE POLLS
- Polls will be open on November 8 from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Click here to find your polling place.
- Remember to bring your ID!
IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE 2022 GENERAL ELECTION
- Tuesday, August 30 – First Day to File Absentee Ballot Request with County Auditor
- Wednesday, October 19 – First Day of Absentee Voting
- Monday, October 24 – Pre-registration Deadline; Deadline to Request Absentee Ballot to be Mailed
- Saturday, November 5 – Auditors’ Offices Open for Absentee Voting
- Monday, November 7 – Absentee Voting In-Person Deadline
- Tuesday, November 8 – General Election Day; Absentee Ballots Receipt Deadline
Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. CT. Absentee ballots must be received in your county auditor’s office prior to 8:00 PM CT on Election Day.*
*VOTERS CASTING THEIR ABSENTEE BALLOT PURSUANT TO UOCAVA OR IOWA CODE CHAPTER 9E SHOULD REVIEW THEIR ABSENTEE BALLOT INSTRUCTIONS FOR ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE.