The Iowa Bicycle Coalition works on policy and appropriations issues in the Iowa Legislature. We have a team of contract lobbyists and an advocacy manager that focuses on specific pieces of legislation that impact bicyclists or traffic safety.
The program has been successful. We have worked on distracted driving including primary texting laws, making fatal texting crashes a felony, and adding distracted driving to driver education as a required topic. We have passed a safe and reasonable distance passing requirement. We have worked on traffic safety issues such as hit and run and speeding felony.
Our current issue priorities include the following:
- Standard Penalties in Fatal Traffic Crashes
- Hands-free cell phones while driving
- Crosswalk protection for bicyclists
- Change Lanes to Pass Bicyclists
- Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund
Key dates for the upcoming session:
- Session Begins: January 8, 2024
- Iowa Bike Expo District Leader Meeting: January 26, 2024
- Bike Day at the Capitol: January 30, 2024, at 9 AM
- First Funnel: February 16, 2024
- Second Funnel: March 15, 2024
- Per Diem Ends: April 16, 2024
Iowa Bicycle Advocacy Toolkit
You are doing a good thing by speaking up about policies important to you and your safety. This toolkit will guide you through successful advocacy, holding meetings, and the legislative process. Download your copy today.
Become a District Leader
The Iowa Bicycle Coalition has a volunteer assigned to every legislative district in Iowa. These volunteers work one-on-one with their legislators to garner support for better bike policy. You can learn more or signup to be a district leader.
Iowa Bicycling Day at the Capitol
You can influence and help advance Iowa bicycle policy by attending the Iowa Bicycling Day at the Capitol. Make plans now to attend. Click to learn more.
Latest Advocacy News:
- URGENT: Amendment requiring daytime bike lightsWe have an urgent issue. Rep. Wills (R-Dickinson) added an amendment to the standard penalties bill HF422 requiring a red light during daylight hours… Read more: URGENT: Amendment requiring daytime bike lights
- SF547 passes the Iowa house Transportation Committee 18-2Great news for Iowa’s road safety! The SF547 bill on hands-free driving has passed the House Transportation Committee. This marks a major step forward… Read more: SF547 passes the Iowa house Transportation Committee 18-2
- Protecting Cyclists in Iowa: Take Action with the Iowa Bicycling Action CenterCycling is a fun and healthy way to explore the great outdoors, but it can be dangerous when cyclists have to share the road… Read more: Protecting Cyclists in Iowa: Take Action with the Iowa Bicycling Action Center
- SF547 on Handsfree/Distracted Driving Passes in Iowa SenateIn a historic moment for the state of Iowa, SF547 on handsfree/distracted driving has passed in the Iowa Senate with an overwhelming vote of… Read more: SF547 on Handsfree/Distracted Driving Passes in Iowa Senate
- Be a Part of the Solution: Support Bicycle Advocacy and Take Action for Safer Roads NowBicycling is a great way to stay active, reduce your carbon footprint, and explore your community. However, as cyclists, we know that it can… Read more: Be a Part of the Solution: Support Bicycle Advocacy and Take Action for Safer Roads Now
- SF207 Hands-Free/Distracted Driving Bill Passes Ways and Means CommitteeThe SF207 Hands-Free/Distracted Driving Bill has cleared its first hurdle on its way to becoming law in Iowa. The bill passed the Senate Ways… Read more: SF207 Hands-Free/Distracted Driving Bill Passes Ways and Means Committee
Support Iowa Bicycle Advocacy:
When you bicycle on Iowa’s trails or roadways, you want an enjoyable ride taking you safely to your destination. We work to make Iowa bicycling safe, accessible, and enjoyable for all. Please consider giving today with credit cards, gifts of stock, or donor-advised funds at https://ibc.app.neoncrm.com/forms/advocacy