Legislative Forums are a productive way to learn if your legislator will support bicycle and traffic safety issues that are important to you. These forums are usually under-attended by the same people. If you and your bicycling friends show up, you can be a block that they cannot ignore. You can ask questions about their positions and ask directly for them to support your issues. Unlike email or letters, they usually have to respond to your comments.
1. Do a little research. Check out our policy and legislative page for more information.
2. Be polite. Never be mean.
3. Ask if they are willing to support a specific issue. e.g. Will you support standard penalties for traffic and bike crashes?
4. If there are questions and you don’t know the answer, don’t guess. Follow up at a later time when you can find the answer.
5. Thank them for their service and be appreciative of their time.
The following legislative forums are scheduled. PLEASE RSVP ON THE FORM BELOW.
Iowa City Area Legislators
Staybridge Suites, 801 E 2nd Ave., Coralville, IA 52241
Black Hawk/Bremer Counties Area Legislators Virtual Event – see link for attendance
8:30-9:30 AM Eggs & Issues
Sen Rozenboom, Rep Hite, and Rep Brink
Smokey Row Coffee House, 109 South Market St., Oskaloosa, IA 52577
Town Hall- Arlington
Arlington Community Center, 853 Main St., Arlington, IA 50606
Eggs & Issues
Spencer Area Legislators
Spencer City Hall, 101 W. 5th St., Spencer, IA 51301
Johnson County Area Legislators
Virtual & Assembly Room of Senior Center, 28 S. Linn St., Iowa City, IA 52240
FYI: The Legislative Forum on Jan. 22 in Iowa City was changed to virtual-only. Here’s the link to register:
Questions may be submitted in advance via a Google Form: https://forms.gle/XCaCuvhcxrHQSRri9
11:00 AM-12:00 PM
Okoboji Area Legislators
Tweeters, 1027 Highway 71, Okoboji, IA 51355