From their page:
A little bit like the Amazing Race with an Iowa twist, Iowa Trail Mix is a bike adventure along Iowa’s trails. You sign up as an individual participant. Teams are not required – but we certainly think teams with themes are fun. Your call. You’ll visit towns connected by the Raccoon River Valley and High Trestle trails in the summer 2012 initial Iowa Trail Mix, and
- check out the best Iowa summer festivals
- brush up on your Iowa trivia
- find new watering holes for great eats & drinks
- find out about unique businesses and historical places that make our Iowa towns special places
- discover treasures along the trails
- support the High Trestle and Raccoon River Valley trails. (your registration fee helps support enhancement and maintenance projects)
- oh, yeah…and earn points toward prizes.
This summer, ride with a purpose to get out and see more. Iowa Trail Mix is most definitely a GREAT source of fun!
Who’s Putting on Iowa Trail Mix?
Three community organizations with a common interest in providing Central Iowans fun things to do have planned, coordinated and will host the first-ever Iowa Trail Mix:
Want to volunteer to help out with Iowa Trail Mix? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on the Iowa Trail Mix facebook page.
How Do You Rack Up Points?
So simple. And, so fun.
Bike the High Trestle and Raccoon River Valley trails to the featured towns. Each town will have up to four ways for you to earn points:
- Town Festival [ 10 pts each festival ] – find & check in at the Iowa Trail Mix booth (you’ll see volunteers in our cool Iowa Trail Mix yellow t-shirts). Complete the challenge. Scan the QR code and you collect your points. Challenges are quirky and tie in to something unique about the town, business or festival. Now go party with the locals. You’ve got one shot to earn the festival points – only available on date & times indicated for each festival.
- Businesses/Organizations [ 5 pts each time you check in ] – there are two businesses/organizations where you’ll want to check in at each Iowa Trail Mix town. Talk to the staff and/or look for the Iowa Trail Mix signs- they’ll tell you what your challenge is to get your point. Unlimited opportunities during the summer to earn points at participating businesses/organizations. Check out open times & plan your rides so you hit them. You won’t want to miss the specials for Iowa Trail Mix participants.
- Trails [1 pt each time you scan a trail tag ] – discover why Iowa is “the trails capital of the world”. Along the trails, very near to the featured towns, you’ll find clearly marked Iowa Trail Mix signs w/QR codes for you to scan. No challenges to complete for these – we just want you to stop a moment and see what’s terrific about the High Trestle and Raccoon River Valley trails. Unlimited opportunities to earn trail points. The more you ride, the more points you earn.
How Do You Sign Up and Participate?
Easy. Register and pay online here. $20 per Iowa Trail Mix rider. Once confirmed, we’ll be in touch. Not much to this but ridin’ the trails and mixin’ it up in our towns.