Several bills in the Iowa Legislature try to address bicycle visibility during sunset to sunrise hours and at all times.
TAKE ACTION ON SF2090:
Successor to SF2090. This bill has passed the Senate Transportation Committee and is awaiting debate in the Iowa Senate.
CURRENT POSITION: NEUTRAL
We are neutral SF2090 at this time. While we are supportive of increased visibility at night, we also understand there are access issues especially for low-income and rural populations. However, light technology has improved and costs have lowered. We also believe there is more that could be added to this bill, like a provision to change lanes to pass bicycles that could improve bicycle safety.
No action needed at this time.
We have grouped our bills by subject because multiple bills may address the same topic. Learn more on each topic at:
- Safe Passing of Bicycles: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/safe-passing-of-bicyclists
- Bicycle Visibility: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/bicycle-visibility-legislative-issues
- E-Bikes: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/low-speed-electric-assist-bicycles
- Handsfree Cellphones: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/handsfree
- Natural Resources & Outdoor Recreation Trust: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/natural-resources-and-outdoor-recreation-trust-fund
Or return to our legislative page: https://www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/policy-and-legislation/