The Iowa Bicycle Coalition works on policy and appropriations issues in the Iowa Legislature. We have a team of contract lobbyists and an advocacy manager that focuses on specific pieces of legislation that impact bicyclists or traffic safety.
The program has been successful. We have worked on distracted driving including primary texting laws, making fatal texting crashes a felony, and adding distracted driving to driver education as a required topic. We have passed a safe and reasonable distance passing requirement. We have worked on traffic safety issues such as hit and run and speeding felony.
Our current issue priorities include the following:
- Change Lanes to Pass Bicyclists
- Standard Penalties in Fatal Traffic Crashes
- Hands-free cellphones while driving
- Crosswalk protection for bicyclists
- Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund
Key dates for the upcoming session:
- Session Begins: January 9, 2023
- Iowa Bicycle Summit District Leader Meeting: January 28, 2022
- First Funnel: TBA
- Bike Day at the Capitol: January 17, 2023, at 9 AM
- Second Funnel: TBA
- Per Diem Ends: April 29, 2023
Iowa Bicycle Advocacy Toolkit
You are doing a good thing by speaking up about policies important to you and your safety. This toolkit will guide you through successful advocacy, holding meetings, and the legislative process. Download your copy today.
Become a District Leader
The Iowa Bicycle Coalition has a volunteer assigned to every legislative district in Iowa. These volunteers work one-on-one with their legislators to garner support for better bike policy. You can learn more or signup to be a district leader.
Iowa Bicycling Day at the Capitol
You can influence and help advance Iowa bicycle policy by attending the Iowa Bicycling Day at the Capitol. Make plans now to attend. Click to learn more.
Latest Advocacy News:
- Distracted Driving Bills Filed in Iowa House and Senate
- I Bike & I Vote | Nov 8, 2022 General ElectionBicyclists make up a large voting block. We, as bicyclists, can and should exercise our right to vote in each and every election. The […]
- advocacy toolkit released
- IWILL advances through subcommittee
- Legislative Forums 3/25-3/26Legislative Forums are a productive way to learn if your legislator will support bicycle and traffic safety issues that are important to you. These […]
- Legislative Forums 3/19Legislative Forums are a productive way to learn if your legislator will support bicycle and traffic safety issues that are important to you. These […]
Support Iowa Bicycle Advocacy:
When you bicycle on Iowa’s trails or roadways, you want an enjoyable ride taking you safely to your destination. We work to make Iowa bicycling safe, accessible, and enjoyable for all. Please consider giving today with credit cards, gifts of stock, or donor-advised funds at https://ibc.app.neoncrm.com/forms/advocacy